Fire destroys Dubois County home | News
A Dubois County family lost their home and its contents during a Tuesday night fire.
Our media partner, WITZ Radio says the Dubois Volunteer Fire Department called out to the home in the 8000 block of North Hillham Road South at 8:13 pm and found the house fully engulfed in flames when they arrived.
Homeowners Eugene and Francine Varner were having dinner when they noticed smoke in the residence. Eugene Varner said he tried to get to a second floor fire extinguisher but couldn’t due to heavy smoke. They ran outside and called 9-1-1 but the house couldn’t be saved.
The home is located on the western edge of the Hoosier National Forest in northeast Dubois County.
Varner says it appears the fire started near a wood stove used to heat the house.
The Varners had no insurance on the structure or contents.