Dubois County unemployment rate drops to 5.3% | News
Dubois County continues to have the lowest unemployment rate in the state of Indiana. Figures released Friday by the Indiana Department of Workforce Development show the county’s rate at 5.3%. three full percentage points below the state’s average of 8.3% for the month of August.
Pike County's rate was the highest among the counties in the 14 News viewing area at 7.8% but all of the counties in southwest Indiana are below the state average.
While the state’s overall unemployment rate was virtually unchanged from July, it’s one percent lower than in August of 2011.
Hoosier employers continued to augment their workforces for the tenth consecutive month and as a result, Indiana gained 7,200 private sector jobs. The rate of job growth in Indiana for August tripled the national average (0.3 percent versus 0.1 percent). Since July 2009, the low point of employment, Indiana has added more than 150,000 private sector jobs and continues to significantly outpace the national rate of growth during this period (6.5 percent versus 3.5 percent). The most significant gains in August came from Private Educational and Health Services (5,200 jobs added) and Construction (2,200 jobs added).
Top Dubois-Pike County Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Run for the Wall: Riders to pass through area next week
- Gibson County man shoots, kills pit bull in front of multiple children
- Three SW Indiana bridges being named after local troopers who died in the line of duty
- Additional charges filed against Gibson Co. murder suspect
- Patoka River levels continue to drop
- Started a business? Want to? Seminar can help
- Daviess County foster parents to be honored at state event
- Daviess Co. Sheriff's Office takes steps to promote safe driving during summer
- O'boro man facing over 1,000 counts of child porn appears in court
- Come "sit down" with the DCPS superintendent this morning